Thursday 7 January 2010

I Started Something I Couldn't Finish


When it comes to crafting, people fall into two very definite camps: those who will see a project through to the bitter end before starting a new one, and those with several half-finished projects on the go at the same time. I fall into the second camp. I like to have different things to pick up and work on as the mood takes me: maybe a piece of easy crochet to work on while watching tv, and then something requiring more focus if I feel like a challenge, rather than relaxing.

At the moment I am working on a Severus Snape doll (a challenge: rather excitingly at the stuffing stage), a spring cardigan for my daughter (relaxing: just started knitting the back) and this never-ending albatross around my neck: the hexagonal crochet quilt.

I started this quilt three years ago, after peering through a window on a canal barge and seeing a similar quilt draped over a comfy arm chair in the corner. It's made up of hexagonal crochet motifs. They are quick and easy to whip up - perfect for taking on a train journey - but I just didn't appreciate the amount of time and dedication needed to complete a project this size. This quilt is around half the size I originally wanted it to be - I envisaged a generous-sized throw to snuggle into on the sofa, but I am starting to downsize my expectations to something smaller.

I do solemnly swear that one day I will finish this quilt, and on that day, I will throw a tea party, and buy everyone scones.

2 comments:

  1. It's beautiful Nicky. Is it the fisnishing of that's the problem ie the assembly or are you just fed up with hexagons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a combination of getting fed up with making hexagons, and the time it takes me to sew them together, as I am not the speediest seamstress.

    ReplyDelete